This is a two part recipe ideal for a dinner with friends, the second recipe should go on the blog tomorrow.
I'm no baker but this is a delicious flavourful dough that can be baked as a normal loaf or roughly rolled out and cooked on the stove top as a flat bread. The chipotle chilli imparts a delicate warmth and earthiness while the feta and herbs are speckled throughout providing great flavour. I used a food processor with a dough hook for speed but it will just take a little more kneading time and effort if you wanted to make this by hand.
475g spelt flour
12g dried yeast
20g butter, cut into cubes
1tbsp runny honey
10 chopped mint leaves
100g feta cheese, crumbled
3tsp Bite Me Spices Chipotle Chilli Powder
300ml (ish) of warm water
- Add the weighed spelt flour, yeast, butter, honey, salt and chipotle chilli powder to the food processor and pulse to mix.
- With the food processor running, add enough warm water to bring the mix to a dough and allow the machine to knead for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the dough into a large oiled bowl. Crumble feta and chopped mint leaves onto the dough and knead by hand to mix these into the dough evenly. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes. The mix should double in size.
- Remove from the bowl onto a clean board. Knead again for 2 minutes and put back in the bowl, cover with clingfilm again and leave for 30 minutes.
- For flat breads- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces and lightly roll out on the board. Heat a heavy based frying pan and brush with a little oil. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes a side, cut into pieces and serve.
- For a loaf- Add dough to a 1lb loaf tin and bake at 160 degrees for 30 minutes, turn out of tin to cool.