This is a simple dish that looks and tastes like you've put in a lot of effort. We've made this with red cabbage as I love the colour but feel free to use white cabbage if you prefer. The recipe works very well with chicken legs too.
2 duck legs
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely grated
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Bite Me Spices Five Spice Blend
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the slaw
250g red cabbage, finely shredded
1 large carrot, grated
2 cm fresh ginger, finely grated
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 lime, zest and juice
30g crushed peanuts
1 tsp brown sugar
- Mix the garlic, salt, five spice, soy, honey and oil in a bowl until combined.
- Coat the duck legs in the mixture, cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees. Once heated, put the duck into roast for 35 minutes. They may take longer if the legs are large, check cooking instructions on the packet.
- Halfway through cooking time, baste the legs with the cooking juices.
- Add the shredded cabbage, grated carrot and sliced onion to a large bowl and mix.
- Lightly roast the crushed peanuts in a dry pan for about five minutes, shake the pan occasionally to prevent burning. Once toasted, leave to cool.
- Make the dressing. Combine ginger, olive oil, lime zest and juice and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Just before serving add the dressing to the slaw. Mix well and top with the toasted peanuts.