This simple recipe can be cooked over coals, under the grill or on top of the cooker in a frying pan. The choice is yours and whatever way you choose to cook this dish, it's delicious. The spice mix is fragrant and fiery as the warming allspice and nutmeg flavours tame the Scotch Bonnet chillies. For a milder flavour, reduce the amount of spice mix to 1 tablespoon.
4 pork steaks, approximately 2cm thick
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Bite Me Spices Jamaican Jerk Spice Mix
1tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
- Mix the oil, vinegar, Jerk Spice Mix and salt to a thin paste. Coat the pork steaks, cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Depending on your chosen cooking method follow the appropriate instructions for cooking times.
- Over hot coals- the pork steaks will take approximately 4 minutes on either side depending on thickness. Check before serving.
- Under a grill- the steaks will take approximately 5 minutes per side under a medium hot grill.
- In a frying pan- the steaks will take approximately 5 minutes per side over a medium heat.
- Served here with a crisp salad and in season Jersey Royal new potatoes drenched in butter and fresh parsley. Well we can't be good all the time.